Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 726541

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/726541

NX35NW 3 3220 5879

(NX 3220 5879) Mindork Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957).

The site of Mindork Castle, part of which still stood at the end of the 18th century. It belonged to the Dunbar family and is locally remembered to have had beautifully cut stone at the corners and windows. It appears to have been small, square and contracted with two rows of outhouses forming the approach.

Name Book 1848; P H M'Kerlie 1906.

All that can be seen at the site is a large amorphous pile of stones.

Visited by OS (BS), 7 July 1976.

People and Organisations

References