Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 726089

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/726089

NX18NW 2 13302 89521.

(NX 13308951) Carleton Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

A tower of the period 1400-1542, of quadrilateral form with walls 6' thick, standing five storeys high. Part of the vaulted ground and hall floor still remains. Otherwise the structure is much ruined, the SE angle having fallen out entirely. The entrance was probably in the SE angle, at the level of the hall floor. Traces still exist of a wall and two corner towers enclosing a courtyard on the tongue of land between the two burns.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

Carleton Castle (name confirmed) is generally as described although the authority is mis-oriented. For SE read NE. Much of the NE angle wall has been replaced by a modern wall. The east wall, where it survives is 2.3m thick. Slight, unsurveyable indications of a wall lie c 10m NE of the tower.

Visited by OS (RD) 21 December 1970

No change from previous field report.

Visited by OS (JRL) 22 March 1977

Carleton Castle, probably built in the 15th century, is as described and illustrated.

RCAHMS 1981, visited 1981

People and Organisations

References