Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 724455

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/724455

NX05NW 1 0442 5632.

(NX 0442 5632) Camp (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

A fort or walled settlement crowning Cairn Pat, a dominant hill, and consisting of an enclosure 450' by 410' within two very ruinous walls, covered on the west by two now very faint ramparts with external ditches. A gap about 4' wide in the WNW arc of the second wall appears to be an entrance, and on the north a roadway some 7' broad passes diagonally through the defences from the NW.

From the SE a natural hollow runs out from the fort, flanked on the west by a face of outcropping rock and at the head of it, within the inner rampart on the west side, are the foundations of a small circular structure measuring internally some 7' and over all 12'.

R W Feachem 1963; 1965; RCAHMS 1912

The much mutilated remains of this fort are generally as described by Feachem, except that the additional ramparts on the west, which extend round to the southside, are now reduced to slight scarps and only very slightly traces remain of their external ditches. The most likely entrance to the fort is in the SE side.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 22 February 1968

This large fort encloses an area of about 1.2ha on Cairn Pat, a conspicuous hill which dominates the central portion of the Rhins peninsula. It measures 118m from E to W by 102m transversely within twin ramparts set between 5.5m and 9.5m apart; a third rampart provides additional protection on the gentle S approach to the fort, where there are also traces of a low bank immediately outside the defences.

Both of the two inner ramparts have been severely robbed, the first varying from a mound of rubble 4.8m thick by 0.8m high to a stony scarp up to 1.5m high externally, and the second from 3.1m thick and 0.5m high to 0.6m high externally. The third rampart, which springs from the second on SW and probably returns on the SSE (but the junction has now been obliterated) measures 2.1m thick by 0.3m high. The low bank outside the defences on the S continues along an irregular and intermittent course on the W side of the fort, where it is little more than a scatter of stones 1.5m wide, before finally dying out on the N. The position of the entrance is unclear and, although there are numerous gaps in the ramparts, only one on the SSE, where a modern track passes through the defences, penetrates to the interior; an entrance previously recorded on the WSW (RCAHMS Survey of Marginal Lands) appears to be the result of quarrying.

Apart from the remains of a bank reduced to little more than a low scarp and a scatter of stones, which is visible 14m within the inner rampart on the S, the interior of the fort is featureless.

Name Book; R Feachem 1965; 1977; RCAHMS 1912; 1985, visited (SH) October 1984.

People and Organisations

References