Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 723305

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/723305

NX08SE 4 08379 82444

(NX 0838 8244) Church (NR) (Remains of).

OS 25" map (1909)

Originally erected as a memorial church to Gilbert Kennedy circa 1601-1605, this church was erected into the parish church in 1617 in succession to St Cuthbert's at Innertig (NX18SW 3); and was abandoned and probably demolished to provide building material for the new church at NX 0838 8248 in 1819. In 1827 it was proposed that the site of the old church should be cleared, trenched and sown with grass for use as a burial ground. Virtually the only part remaining is the original Kennedy burial aisle. Otherwise a baulk containing wall foundations is intermittently visible but it is impossible to determine precise dimensions.

K G and M M White 1960

The un-named Kennedy Aisle is the only remains of the church, whose grounds are still in use as a memorial garden and graveyard. Recent re-turfing has obliterated any trace of wall foundations.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (JRL) 8 March 1977

Only the Kennedy Aisle and a fragment of the S wall of this church now remain.

RCAHMS 1981, visited 1981

People and Organisations

References