Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 720133

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NJ62NW 22 6184 2794.

(NJ 6184 2794) Supposed site of St John's Chapel (NR)

OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 1st ed., (1870)

A chapel of St John stood at Dunnideer (Scott 1915-61) within the walls of the castle (NJ62NW 1) (Laing 1828). The OS siting is based on the evidence of a local man who remembered seeing as a boy about 1810, 'a great many stones being removed from a slightly elevated piece of ground somewhat resembling an old graveyard'. A great many chips of building stone are still to be seen in the blackish ground (ONB 1868).

H Scott et al 1915-61; A Laing 1828; Name Book 1867.

No trace. As Laing states that St John's Chapel stood within the walls of the castle, could this be the site of St Valentine's Church (NJ62NW 23)?

Information from OS (AA), 20 March 1969.

Nothing is now visible of this chapel and its alleged site, which is indicated on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire 1870, sheet XLIV), in what was formerly arable ground, has recently been landscaped as a golf course. The chapel first appears in Keith's 'View of the Diocese of Aberdeen' (1732), which notes the existence of a chapel dedicated to St John at 'Dundore Castle'. For an alternative location, nearer to the castle, see NJ62NW 23.

Information from RCAHMS (IF), 16 March 2001.

People and Organisations