Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Architecture Notes

Event ID 719325

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/719325

NT27SW 4042 24904 74628

The Grand theatre/cinema was built on the site of a timber yard. This cinema originally opened as a theatre (depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 25-inch map, 1890), riding academy (2nd edition, revision, 1915) and ice rink, but after 1920 The Grand was used solely as a cinema. It closed as a cinema in 1960 and was subsequently used as a bingo hall, nightclub and disco until destroyed by fire in 1993. New blocks of flats now occupy the site.

Infromation from Stockbridge News, March 2003 and RCAHMS (DE), March 2003

People and Organisations

References