Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 717868

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/717868

NT53SW 64 54525 34594

For former tollhouse (adjacent to S), see NT53SW 209.01.

Chain Bridge (suspension) [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1993.

(Location cited as NT 545 346). Suspension bridge, built 1826. A footbridge, with iron-link suspension chains, a wooden deck, and Gothis stone pylons. The vertical suspenders are iron rods, and there are light iron railings.

J R Hume 1976.

Suspension bridge of Samuel Brown chain type. Built 1826, probably by J.S. Brown, engineer, and Redpath, Brown and Company, contractors. Castellated masonry pylons, two pairs of iron link chains on each side, iron rod suspenders to wooden deck, iron railings. Span about 300 ft (91m). Private footbridge.

J R Hume 1977b.

Chain Bridge, 1826. Redpath, Brown and Co. John Stevenson Brown was originally a smith from Lyne in Peeblesshire. Gothick pylons with corbelled and crenellated heads over pointed arched openings. Blacksmith-forged iron chains, suspenders, stress and tension were artfully combined in this footbridge; it is also calculated to admit horses. Construction work by the Smiths of Darnick, who may have designed the accompanyoing charmingly scaled Toll-house (1826). Bridge completely reconstructed, 1991, with most unsympathetic new deck; this wouldn't have happened to a Chippindale chair of the same date.

C A Strang 1994.

This suspension footbridge carries a path over the River Tweed to the NW of Chain Bridge Farm (NT53SW 209.00).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NT c. 54516 34638 to NT c. 54540 34546.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 30 January 2006.

People and Organisations

References