Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 715946

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NT43NW 7 4396 3551.

(NT 4396 3551) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

This fort stands on the summit of a level hilltop at 638ft OD. Most of it, in a cultivated field, has been obliterated, but its outline can be seen on air photographs.

Visible on AP's (106G.Scot.UK 18:7140-2)

The remainder lies on a strip of comparatively undisturbed ground, bounded on the SE by the field dyke and on the NW by the crest of a steep slope. The existing remains consist of two short sections of the defences, each terminated by the dyke and the slope. Each section embodies fragments of three parallel banks, the maximum distance between the inner- most fragments being 380ft. All three banks are best preserved in the SW section, where the outermost one is 4ft 9 ins high on its inner side, the middle one 3ft 9 ins, and the innermost one 2ft 6 ins. All are grass-covered, but an intermittent line of boulders, 30ft in length, can be seen at ground level on the outer side of the innermost bank in the NE section.

A fragment of a glass armlet and part of the upper stone of a beehive quern from this site are in the NMAS.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1950; H E Kilbride-Jones 1938

The ground outside on the NE is cut up with irregular low mounds and ridges for about 100 yds along the ridge.

D Christison 1895

This fort is as described and planned by the RCAHMS, except that the distance separating the inner ramparts is some 150.0m and not about

115.0m (380ft). A small scooped enclosure, near the NE end of the fort, is possibly associated with the old field bank which runs from its N side through the NE defences of the fort.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 January 1966

No change to the previous information. Published survey (25") correct. Visited by OS (MJF) 29 November 1979

A spindle whorl from this site is in Wilton Lodge Museum, Hawick (HAKMG 4195).

Museum Catalogue 1981

People and Organisations