Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 713225

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/713225

NT48SE 16 47572 80472.

(NT 47572 80472) Dovecot (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

This fine late 16th century (J Whitaker 1938) dovecot stands in the grounds of Luffness House (NT48SE 1). Circular in shape, it is 18ft high with walls 3ft thick. There are three string courses. The lowest is about 6ft 6 ins from the ground, the next is equidistant and the third forms a rim round the flat roof. In the centre of the roof is a small circular lantern, the sides of which are pierced by eight entrance holes. In the interior there are 500 nesting places.

C McWilliam 1978; RCAHMS 1978

This dovecot is as described.

Visited by OS (SFS) 16 July 1975.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.

People and Organisations

References