Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 712927

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/712927

NT17NE 6.01 168 785 Garden

NT17NE 25 16824 78464 Obelisk Sundial

NT17NE 6.02 16847 78449 Horizontal Sundial

(NT 1686 7852) Barnbougle Castle (NR) (restored)

OS 6" map (1968)

Barnbougle Castle, a plain 17th century building, was ruinous prior to 1880, when it was restored, part of the N side being incorporated in the new structure.

RCAHMS 1929; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892

Barnbougle Castle, at present occupied, has no features of architectural importance; the oldest portions are the NE corner and the lower part of the N wall.

Visited by OS (JD) 9 March 1955

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS) 11 December 1975.

This Castle was originally built in the 17th century and was rebuilt in 1881. It is located on the coast edge on rocky promontory within Dalmeny House estate. There are no apparent changes to the NMRS description (1975).

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 17th February 1996.

People and Organisations

References