Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Due to planned maintenance, there may be some disruption to this service between 7am and 9am on the 6th of October. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 711561

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/711561

NT27NE 30.00 27041 76070

(NT 2704 7606) Church (NAT) formerly St Mary's Chapel (NR) 13th century OS 6"map, Edinburghshire, 1st ed., (1853)

South Leith parish church was originally a chapel, dedicated to St Mary, attached to the collegiate church of Restalrig (NT27SE 103). Origally cruciform, it had been reduced to its nave by 1559. It was made into a parish church in 1609. Between 1650 and 1657, it was used as a magazine by Cromwellian troops, subsequently being restored to ecclesiastical use. The fabric was entirely renewed in 1848,but the west piers of the original crossing are still to be seen in the vestibules at the east end of the building.

RCAHMS 1951.

It was not possible to confirm the presence of the original piers at the time of field investigation.

Visited by OS (B S) 27 November 1975.

People and Organisations

References