Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 711101

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/711101

NT09SE 1 0598 9094.

(NT 0598 9094) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map, (1967).

This fort occupies a position on top of Craigluscar Hill, about 700ft OD; it is defended by triple ramparts, except to SW, where there is a precipice. Its remains were excavated to some extent in 1944 and 1945. The innermost of the three lines of defence was found to be a stone-faced, rubble-cored wall 12ft thick. The medial rampart consisted of two parallel double rows of large laid stones separated by a space 3ft wide filled with clean loam and was considered to have been a twin palisade. The outer rampart, placed only on the N flank of the fort where approach is the easiest, was a decayed version of the innermost. The entrance in the inner rampart, 9ft in width, was narrowed to 6ft by a setting of four posts which must have held the gate structure, while that in the outer (medial) rampart was closed from inside by a gate supported on two posts. Shale rings and chipped stone discs found during the excavations were donated to the NMAS in 1973-4. The fort, which measures 175ft by 110ft, was tentatively suggested by Hogg to date within the 1st centuries B C and A D. (See plans)

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1925; A H A Hogg 1953; R W Feachem 1963; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1975 (Donations).

The scant remains of this fort are generally as described. A short length of the inner wall on the S side now appears as a very slight bank, as does much of the outer wall on the N side. The inner kerb face of the inner wall is clearly definable as a course of large stones on most of the N and E sides. The entrance is clearly marked by kerb stones.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JLD) 28 March 1961.

An archaeological appreciation carried out by Edinburgh University in 1988 revealed only two main lines of defence, the medial rampart existing only as a break in slope which did not appear to continue round. As previous surveys have shown, there are no internal structures except for the remains of a small, stone built structure which the 1988 survey identifies as a shieling.

EUCFA 1988

A heavily robbed fort is situated at the top of Castle Craigs some 500m WNW of Craigluscar. The defences comprise three ramparts, which rest on the edge of the crags on the SE and W respectively, but they have now been reduced to little more than scarps and robber-trenches. They enclose an area measuring 51m from E to W by 34m transversely and there is a well-defined entrance on the E. The only structure visible within the interior is a small square hut at the edge of the crags.

Visited by RCAHMS (SH) August 1991.

People and Organisations

References