Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 706966

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/706966

NS78NE 2.00 77902 88370

NS78NE 2.01 78110 88607 Dovecot

(NS 7790 8837) Old Sauchie (NR)

OS 6" map (1967)

Old Sauchie is the name given to an extensive range of buildings. They are not all of the same period. The earliest portion is the L-shaped tower-house at the S end of the range. Now a mere shell, it stands three storeys and an attic high. Originally free-standing, it was probably built in the late 16th century; in the early 17th century, a two-storeyed wing was added to the N gable end of the main block, and further additions were made in the late 17th or early 18th centuries. The later buildings have been much altered and now form dwellings and an estate office.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1956

The castle has been much added to, and altered, and recently restored, being generally in good condition.

Visited by OS (JD) 19 May 1953.

NS 779 883 A watching brief was undertaken in and around Old Sauchie Tower House. Unfortunately the tower had been cleaned down to natural in the last hundred years, and the tiny area on the edge of the gorge to the rear had been thoroughly disturbed by alterations to the adjacent buildings in 1998. A small area to the front of the tower was also taken down c 30cm onto a rubble layer; no archaeology was disturbed.

Sponsor: Mr J A Leask.

G Haggarty 2003

People and Organisations

References