Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 706795

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/706795

NS89NW 24 8046 9916.

Cairn, Cuparlaw Wood. This cairn is situated on the summit of a low knoll within a felled wood, 170 yds ENE of Pendreich farmhouse and at a height of 600ft OD. It consists of a low, grass-covered mound which measures 40ft in diameter and stands to a maximum height of 1ft 6in.

The surface is disfigured by pits caused in 1926 when the cairn was opened and three cists were uncovered (R T Young 1927). Two of these contained no relics; in the third there were fragments of bones and a broken beaker, some sherds of which are preserved in the Smith Institute, Stirling.

RCAHMS 1963; Smith Institute 1934

As described above.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 19 September 1968

NS 804 991. When this cairn, which measures 12m in diameter and 0.5m in height, was opened in 1926, three cists were found, one of which contained a Beaker (SAGMS A3999) and some fragments of bone.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.

People and Organisations

References