Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 706362

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/706362

NS79SE 43 7944 9244 to 7948 9249.

'A' (NS 7944 9244) Standing Stone (NR)

'B' (NS 7948 9249) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map (1958)

Stone 'A' is an upright rectangular pillar, 4' high and measuring 2' by 1'6" at ground level.

Stone 'B' also an upright rectangular pillar, is 3'8" high and 1'5" by 1' at ground level.

While these standing stones may not be of prehistoric origin, there is no reason to accept Nimmo's statement that they were set up to commemorate the action fought on 23rd June 1314 by the Scots under Sir Thomas Randolph, Earl of Moray, against an English reconnaissance

force (for battle, see NS79SE 38).

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1954; W Nimmo 1880

Trenches crossing at right angles a line joining the two stones revealed only a slight hollow containing topsoil and recent (19th century and earlier) rubbish. A trench cut across half of a suggested "battle pit" revealed one side of a very deep pit, probably the shaft of a destroyed and filled well.

D M Hunter 1960

The standing stones are as described.

'A' surveyed at 1:1250.

Visited by OS (JP) 20 December 1973

NS 794 924 These two stones stand at NS 7944 9244 and NS 7948 9249 respectively; the N stone stands 1.1m high and the other 1.2m.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978

People and Organisations

References