Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 706344

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/706344

NS93NE 17 9843 3593.

(NS 9843 3593) St John's Kirk (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map, Lanarkshire, 2nd ed., (1912).

Between 1175 and 1199, the monks of Kelso obtained a grant of the church of 'Tankardstoun' called 'Wodekyrch'. The church stood in the SE corner of the parish, about a mile and a half from the village.

The old church was allowed to fall into ruin when the parishes of Covington and Thankerton were united in the 18th century.

New Statistical Account (NSA, Rev T Watson: written 1840), 1845; G Chalmers 1887.

The church has disappeared but the graveyard is still maintained.

There is a tradition that, some years ago, a 'golden image' of the Virgin was found here.

A Murray and G V Irving 1864.

A modern burial vault occupies the site.

Visited by OS(WDJ) 22 January 1968.

People and Organisations

References