Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 705892

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/705892

NS89NE 3 8848 9754.

The flexed skeleton of a dwarf which had been buried in a natural cavity in the rock was uncovered on 24 December 1913 by James Murdoch while quarrying at the mouth of Alva Glen, a few yards from the right bank of the burn. The body had been placed in a cavity or rock shelter in the face of the cliff, about 40ft from the base and about 200ft above sea-level, and a rough, curved wall of dry-stone building, about 1ft thick, had been built across the opening, which faced east. Unlike many prehistoric graves, no charcoal or charred wood was found and the only other finds were twenty or thirty snail shells showing no signs of artificial perforation.

J G Callander 1914

(NS 8848 9754) Quarry located and sited from information above. No further information was encountered during investigation.

Visited by OS (MH) 4 August 1953

People and Organisations

References