Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 703060

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/703060

NS59SE 3 58564 94259

Fairy Knowe [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

See also NS69SW 3.

The Fairy Knowe, or Knoll (Chrystal 1903), a small green mound south of Mains of Buchlyvie, appears to have been a tumulus. Some human bones, enclosed in a cist(s), were lately (1796) found in it Statistical Account (OSA 1796).

OSA 1796; W Chrystal 1903.

NS 5856 9425. This natural knoll shows no signs of artificial work. The tenant of Mains of Buchlyvie confirmed that the mound is known locally as 'The Fairy Knowe'.

Visited by OS (D S), 29 March 1957.

Cist, Mains of Buchlyvie, (Site): Close to the S side of the road from Kippen to Buchlyvie, there is a natural mound which measures 180ft in length from E-W, 120ft in breadth, and 18ft in height. It is recorded that a stone cist containing human bones was found in it (see 2 above).

RCAHMS 1963.

A broch was discovered by excavation in 1976 and further investigation took place in 1977. The walls stand to a height of just over one metre and are 5.4m thick enclosing a circular occupation area 8.15m in diameter. Roman finds suggest a date of 1st/early2nd Century AD.

L Main 1975; L Main 1976.

NS 585 942 Excavation has shown that this broch measures about 19.2m in diameter over a wall 5.4m thick and occupies the site of an earlier timber round-house. Finds from the broch, and C.14 dating, indicate that it was occupied during the 1st and 2nd centuries AD.

A cist containing an inhumation was found in this natural mound in the 18th century. This is probably the same site as the 'tumulus near to the railway line', in which 'was found "an auld can" and some coins', mentioned by Maclagan.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.

People and Organisations

References