Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 702488

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/702488

NS56NW 4 5260 6720.

(NS 5260 6720) Marlin Ford (NR) (site of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1973)

The site of an ancient ford crossing the Clyde. It has not been in use within the memory of any person now living.

Name Book 1857; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.

This ford is now totally destroyed. However, a raised trackway leading from the the old Renfrew Road to the site of the ford is still visible. This is known as Marlinsford Road and is of unknown antiquity. The road varies in size from c. 3m at its narrowest to c. 20m at its most northern extent and may be medieval in date. It would appear to have allowed dry access to the fording point across the once mud flat region on the south banks of the River Clyde. It should be regarded as a possible archaeological monument.

Sponsor: ESU Ltd

J A Atkinson 1994f; NMRS MS/725/79.

Field assessment in advance of development on and around the site of Braehead power station, on ground that was formerly the Elderslie Estate. Undertaken by Guard.

Marlinford Road (NS 5226 6693 to NS 5240 6725). Field assessment was carried out to ascertain the date of this monument and any possible connections it may have with the Marlin Ford, thought to be an early river crossing point (c250m to the E).

A number of machine-cut trenches were positioned across the line of this raised embankment which leads from the old Renfrew road to the southern bank of the River Clyde. The slight, stoneless structural form of the embankment argued against it being a road designed to carry a steady stream of traffic to and from the Marlin Ford. The embankment runs parallel to a brick-built culvert, issuing into the Clyde. Deposition of debris beneath the embankment, associated with the construction of this culvert means that the Marlinford road as it survives, must be contemporary with it (mid to late 18th century).

Sponsor: Environmental Sciences Unit.

J Atkinson and K Speller 1995.

People and Organisations

References