Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 702182

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/702182

NS56NE 18 555 658

For successive excavations (NS 554 658) to the NW of the indicated location and to the E of the parish church, see NS56NE 17.

The Doomster Hill stood on the S side of the Clyde, immediately opposite the ferry-house, on a spot occupied by the buildings of Harland and Wolff's (area centred NS 5559 6580) (OS field investigator [WMJ]) - now (ie. in 1976) demolished. The OSA (1795) states that it is supposed to have been a law hill, and describes it as 17' high, 150' in diameter at the base, and 108' in diameter on top. In 1845, its summit was occupied by a reservoir for an adjacent dye works; when this was being deepened, a few planks of black oak, some small fragments of bones, and a bed of what seemed to be decayed bulrushes was found (NSA 1845) (The published authorities refer to this feature as a tumulus, presumably because of the bone fragments noted above, but an 18th century sketch (information from Glasgow Evening News, 1 February 1937, illust) depicts it as a motte-like earthwork, with a ditch around its base.)

Visited by OS (W M J), 28 August 1951.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1795; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; J C Roger 1859

People and Organisations

References