Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 701075

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NS46SE 2.01 48537 63916

(NS 4854 6391) The site of the chapter house, refectory etc of Paisley Abbey is occupied by the "Place of Paisley", built in the late 16th (TSA 1962) or 17th (SDD List 1963) century by Claud Hamilton, commendator of Paisley after the Reformation, later occupied by his descendants the Earls of Abercorn and in the 17th century by the Earl of Dundonald. In the 18th and 19th centuries it degenerated to dwelling houses; after renovation it now serves as the manse for the Abbey church.

The NE block is not the L-plan, four storeys high; a large, two storeyed addition was made to the S in 1675; further buildings (see plan: NS46SE 2) were removed in 1874. These buildings probably incorporate parts of the old monastic walls. The W entrance tower was raised and other alterations made in 1961-2.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892

People and Organisations