Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 700754

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NS35SW 18 32436 53275

'...founded 1840, as an iron-smelting works, but dates in its present form from 1916-18, when re-constructed by David Colville & Sons. The steel-framed open-hearth melting shop and the rolling mill are substantially of that date, though the furnaces and machinery have been renewed and enlarged. The building of the Bessemer converter shop, built 1884, also survives."

J R Hume 1976

People and Organisations