Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 699416

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/699416

NS16NW 1 11860 67860

For successor country house of Castle Toward (NS 1146 6816) and associated buildings, see NS16NW 22.00.

(NS 1186 6785) Toward Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1900)

Toward Castle consists of a probably 15th century keep with a later courtyard extending to the NE. The keep was apparently rectangular, 39' x c.28', but as the N wall is completely buried in its own ruins, it is not possible to ascertain whether there was any projection approaching the L-plan. It probably stood four storeys high, the ground and hall floors being vaulted.

The later buildings are of considerable interest, and, including the keep, measure along the NE front 119'6" by c.80' wide, and are grouped to form a courtyard with buildings on two sides, the old keep at the S end and an enclosing wall along the NW side. In 1646, the castle, in the possession of the Lamonts, was besieged by the Campbells, and forced to surrender, when many Lamonts were hanged. It is supposed never to have been used again after that event.

About 1821, 200-300 small silver coins 'of an early Scottish reign' were found within the ruin.

J C Roger 1859; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1891.

Toward Castle is as described.

Earthworks revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (IA) 1 March 1973

Custodianship of this ruin has been vested in the Clan Lamont Society, and a programme of rehabilitation undertaken. The E range has proved to be a hall-house of approximately 1630; its N end was apparently repaired and reoccupied temporarily after the 1646 siege. the building east of the entrance seems to have been a chapel; its south wall has been robbed to its foundations.

H B Millar 1972; 1974

Toward Castle (name not confirmed) is generally as described and planned, although MacGibbon and Ross's text is confusing because of an error in the cardinal points, the 15th century keeps lying to the south of the later range of buildings.

With the exception of the keep, which has yet ot be consolidated, the remains are well-preserved.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 20 October 1976

The remainder of the hall-house hall and solar floors were excavated to original levels; a large and varied quantity of artefacts was recovered, largely dating from the siege of 1646. Most of the metal objects are with Glasgow University; the remainder at Castle Cary. The floors have been re-covered with earth. The site of a well was revealed in the courtyard.

H Millar 1979.

People and Organisations

References