Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 698332

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NS15SW 14 14309 51468

Location formerly cited as NS 1431 5146.

For (successor and present) 'new' lighthouse (NS 13760 51514), see NS 15SW 15.00.

Old Lighthouse

(Watch Sta) [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1978.


Erected 1757. Restored 1956.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NS 153 314). Old Lighthouse, erected 1757. A plain circular tower restored by the Clyde Lighthouses Trust in 1956 after being disused since 1792. The remains of a rectangular keeper's cottage survive to the N.

J R Hume 1977.

Coal-fired, erected 1757. A plain, circular tower, restored in 1956 having been disused since 1793 (when it was replaced by NS15SW 15). Remains of a rectangular keeper's cottage survive to N.

D B Hague and R Christie 1975; J R Hume 1977; R W Munro 1979

The exercise was a general survey of the island to report on the condition of known sites and to identify and record any new sites. The survey was carried out by members of ACFA and the Cowal Archaeology & Historical Society in March 1996. A copy of the full report has been lodged with the NMRS.

NS 1431 5146 18th-Century lighthouse.

E B Rennie and J Macdonald 1996.

People and Organisations