Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 695807

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/695807

NR67NE 1 66654 75286

(NR 6665 7528) Chapel (NR) (Cill Mhic-Charmaig)

OS 6" map (1900)

This chapel, a rectangular building, 38' x 20' externally, was used as an inn after 1600, hence the fireplaces in the W gable. It is partly medieval work, enclosing an earlier building 13' x 10'6" internally, with a barrel-vaulted roof, now forming the chancel.

Traditionally connected with Keills (NR68SE 2) and perhaps its 'Disert' in early times. Dedication of both to St Abban moccu Chormaig (c. 640) (M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964).

The chapel was surrounded by an open and nearly obliterated burial ground (D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896). There is a medieval tomb on the S side of the chancel.

T P White 1875

St Cormac's Chapel (DoE nameplate) is as described but the burial ground can no longer be recognised.

Visited by OS (DWR) 16 May 1973.

Descheduled.

Information from Historic Scotland, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule dated 14 March 2000.

People and Organisations

References