Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 693047

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NR27SE 1.00 NR 28524 71520 Kilnave Chapel and Kilnave Cross

NR27SE 1.01 NR 28522 71542 Kilnave Burial Ground

(NR 28524 71520) Cill Naoimh (NR) (In Ruins) (NAT) Burial Ground (NR)

(NR 28513 71519) Stone Cross (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

The remains of the chapel of Kilnave, not very old (MacGibbon and Ross 1896-7) with walls still intact, is probably on an early site since the burial ground contains a probably mid-8th century (Lamont 1972) cross. The dedication to one of the saints named Nem (Watson 1926) also indicates an early origin. The chapel has measured 30ft long, with the entrance in the W and two short semi-circular arched windows, are in the E and one in the S. It is traditionally said to have been burned with its occupants, the MacLean fugutives from the battle of Loch Grui- nard, in 1598. The high cross is of slate, 8ft 6ins high and sculptured in relief on one face. Another early cross, now an irregularly shaped slab, thin and pierced is preserved inside the chapel. A Medieval slab in the burial ground bears foliage, sword, animals and inscription.

The Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB 1869) gives the chapel name as Cill Naoimh, 'Church of the Saints', but Watson gives Cill Neimh meaning 'Nem's Church'.

Orig Paroch Scot 1854; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; F Celoria 1960; W D Lamont 1972; W J Watson 1926.

People and Organisations