Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 691317

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/691317

NO56SE 16 5969 6019.

The first reference to a tolbooth in Brechin occurs in 1450. In 1580 and 1697 there were notices of repairs being carried out on the tolbooth which appar ently stood on the corner of High Street and Nether West Wynd (Church Street). While the council and bailies' court met on the first floor, part of the ground floor w as used as a jail. A new two-storey Town House was built on the site of the old tolbooth in 1789.

D D Black 1839; D B Thoms 1977; R Gourlay and A Turner 1977.

People and Organisations

References