Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some of our data services may be unavailable for a short period of time on Tuesday the 27th of March. This is due to essential maintenance.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 690314

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NO51NW 2 51415 16687

NO51NW 2.01 51347 16579 Guest Hall

NO51NW 2.02 5147 1656 Granary

NO51NW 2.03 5148 1650 Abbey Mill

NO51NW 2.04 5149 1656 Well: Holy

NO51NW 2.05 51475 16648 St Rule's Church and St Rule's Tower (St Regulus Church)

NO51NW 2.06 51369 16631 Priory House House

NO51NW 2.07 5142 1662 Museum

NO51NW 2.08 51459 16661 Burial Ground

NO51NW 2.09 5138 1662 Refectory; watching brief

NO51NW 2.10 51437 16581 Abbey Walls

NO51NW 2.11 51491 16571 Well House

NO51NW 2.12 51413 16619 Priory

(Centred NO 5139 1667) Cathedral (NR) (Ruins of (NAT)

OS 6" map (1912/38)

For description and history, see MoW Official Guide.

S Cruden 1950

The problem of stagnant water in the cellar of the monastic S range prompted the examination of drainage in the adjacent cloister alley. Within the excavated areas no evidence of medieval occupation had survived the attentions of previous, similarly intentioned investigators.

J H Lewis 1987

NO 5145 1659 Minor archaeological excavations were undertaken in July 2004 comprising four trial trenches across the line of an intended trench for a waste water pipe. The archaeological potential of this area of the monument is affected by the extensive clearance and landscaping of the cathedral and graveyards from the Victorian period onwards.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: HS.

D Stewart 2004

NS 5138 1663 A watching brief was undertaken in May 2005 during the excavation of a cable trench along the W and S walks of St Andrews Cathedral cloister, with 42m of trench in the S walk and 15m in the W walk, and a maximum depth of 0.5m.

This area has been subjected to improvements during the 18th and 19th centuries resulting in new surface levels. The old paved surfaces of the walkways had long been removed, with later 18th century levelling material added. Works in the 19th century to the S undercroft had greatly disturbed the walkway bottoming deposits and 18th-century levelling, with 20th-century conduit work disturbing both 18th- and 19th-century works. These excavations were not deep enough to penetrate late disturbances.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: HS.

D Stewart 2005

NO 5141 1668 A watching brief was undertaken in August 2006 during the removal of four stone bollards and excavation of foundations for six new cast iron bollards. The removal of the stone bollards partially revealed possible flagged surfaces and the footings of the stone columns of the West Precinct wall. The works caused no disturbance to these features. There were no other features of archaeological significance and no finds were retained.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Historic Scotland.

Angus Mackintosh, 2006.

People and Organisations