Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 688291

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/688291

NO41SE 4 4593 1321

(NO 4593 1321) Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 25" map (1966)

Broch.

R W Feachem 1963

Situated on top of a rock ridge at 712' OD, are the remains of an almost circular broch. It measures c. 14.0m in diameter within a wall varying from 4.8m to 5.0m in width. The outer face of the wall is traceable for the greater part of the circuit, and is composed of roughly dressed blocks with up to three courses remaining on the NW. The inner face is visible in a few places, notably in the SE. No intra-mural chambers are visible, but portions of the side walls of the entrance passage and a displaced lintel slab are exposed in the E arc. The passage is choked with rubble but appears to have been up to 1.6m wide. A door check is visible on its side. Overlying the wall on the W is a large modern cairn, and on the SE, an OS triangulation pillar. Below the tumbled wall on the W is a small sub-oval enclosure of uncertain, but not recent, date, and several field banks of similar construction. (Information from RCAHMS plan).

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (DWR) 22 May 1974.

People and Organisations

References