Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 687532

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/687532

NO34SE 3 3803 4417.

(NO 3803 4417) Claverhouse Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

This castle once was a place of considerable strength, having a moat and drawbridge, but its last remains were pulled down c 1826 (Name Book 1861). It belonged to the Ogilvies in the 14th century, and the castle, mentioned in the 17th century, was later owned by Graham of Claverhouse.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Name Book 1861; A J Warden 1882.

There are now no traces of this castle. The farmer states that stones from the castle are often turned up by the plough at the published site.

Visited by OS (W D J) 7 January 1970.

Claverhouse Castle stood 200m SW of Hatton of Ogilvie; its remains were removed about 1826.

NSA 1845; Name Book 1861; A J Warden 1880; RCAHMS 1984.

People and Organisations

References