Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 687253

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NO31SE 32.00 39942 11668

(NO 3994 1166) Church (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1919)

Church on site of St. Siris's Kirk and St. Ninian's Chapel (NR)

OS 6" map, (1919)

NO31SE 32.01 NO 39990 11680 Churchyard

NO31SE 32.02 NO 39961 11671 Lindsay Vault

NO31SE 32.03 NO 39967 11646 Hall

The church of Ceres, previous to the Reformation, was a rectory which belonged to the Provosty of Kirkheugh (or Church of St. Mary of the Rock, NO51NW 7) St Andrews.

Besides the principal altar, there was a chapel or altargae dedicated to St Ninian the patronage of which belonged to the family of Craighall. The present church was built on the site of the old one in 1806.

J Leighton 1840.

'This church is built on the site of St. Siris's Kirk and St.Ninian's Chapel. These ancient edifices were found together under the same roof. Mr Trotter the Parish Schoolmaster, who consulted the Session Records, states that these two ancient buildings are repeatedly mentioned in the parochial documents. The Parish Teacher of Ceres had formerly a small annual salary for acting as Chaplain to the altar of St. Ninian, but the lands from which it was derived cannot now be ascertained.'

O S Name Book 1854.

An enamelled, bronze crucifix, possibly one of the earlier specimens of champleve enamel of perhaps the middle of the 12th century was found in the churchyard, 3ft under the ground.

The crucifix was presented to NMAS in 1883 (Accession no. KE 7)

J M D Peddie 1883.

The date of the original foundation of the church is not recorded. Previous to 1306 it was a charge held in conjunction with the Provosty of St. Mary's at St. Andrews.

A H Millar 1895.

The present parish church of Ceres is still in use as a place of public worship and bears the date 1806 over the west door. To the east of the church a vault at NO 3996 1166 appears possibly to incorporate part of an earlier church, but the minister declared that this was a matter of dispute). (Information from Rev A Scott-Hutchison, Ceres).

Visited by OS (R D L), 25 May 1964.

People and Organisations