Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 686700

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/686700

NO23SE 2 2891 3210.

(NO 2891 3210) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1902)

An oval fort at 648' OD on Dron Hill, measures 330' x 250' overall with a small crescentic annexe to the N, and another large one to the S, springing from the same points of the oval.

The greatly dilapidated wall of the fort is generally grass-covered, but on the W side is a 100' row of large stones, closely set, probably the base of the outer face of a wall, the inner face of which is represented by a less complete row, 9' - 10' distant. Basal stones also occur on the S side, where the mound is 27' wide. The N and E sides have been almost completely destroyed.

The enclosing mounds of the annexes are not defensive. They are very low, only 6' or 7' wide, and are probably ruined walls.

D Christison 1900

The fort is generally as described by Christison. In addition to its main wall there are traces of three outer defences on the W, generally reduced to wall courses or scarps approximately 0.5m high. The main entrance is in the NW side and there may have been a second in the SE. The "annexes" are old field/plantation banks with which the entire work has been severely mutilated.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 5 February 1969

The fort is generally as described in previous field report. Apart from the later plantation banks, there is no sign of secondary occupation. Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (JM) 9 June 1976

People and Organisations

References