Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some of our data services may be unavailable for a short period of time on Tuesday the 27th of March. This is due to essential maintenance.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 686682

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NO32NE 11 39143 27850

Tay Bridge [NAT] (name centred NO 391 277)

OS 1:10,000 map, 1991.

For corresponding road bridge (NO 425 287 to NO 407 300), see NO42NW 75.

See also;

NO32NE 17 NO 390 292 to NO 395 263 Dundee, Old Tay Bridge

NO32NE 28 NO 3957 2633 South Signal Box

NO32NE 25 NO 3920 2930 Dundee, Esplanade Station (situated on N approach)

NO32NE 31 NO 3963 2627 Wormit Station

NO32NE 397 NO 39574 26371 Tay Bridge Life Boat Rescue Station

NO32NE 8005 NO 3982 2645 salvage barque

NO42NW 83.00 NO 4016 2974 to NO 4035 2991 Dundee, Tay Bridge Station

Location formerly entered as NO 390 292 to NO 395 263.


Dundee, Railway Bridge (New).

W.H.Barlow & Crawford 1886.

(Iron work by Sir William Arrol).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NO 395 263 to NO 392 293). Tay Railway Bridge, built 1882-7 for the North British Rly by engineers W H and Crawford Barlow. The longest bridge in Britain. Consists of a series of wrought-iron trusses on riveted plate piers with brick foundations. The structure incorporates some of the trusses of the first bridge (completed 1878 and partly blown down 28 December 1879); the stumps of the piers of the old bridge can be seen downstream.

J R Hume 1977.

The new bridge was built by Tancred and Arrol of Glasgow and opened to traffic on 20 June 1887, being the last of the great wrought iron railway bridges; it remains in use.

Since opening, the bridge has needed little other than routine maintenance, the expansion bearings being replaced between 1953 and 1965, and sections of the deck subsequently.

M Smith 1994.

This bridge carries the Edinburgh-Aberdeen main line of the former North British Rly. (grouped into the London and North-Eastern Rly.) across the estuary of the River Tay between the parish of Forgan (North-East Fife District, Fife Region) and the City Parish of Dundee (City of Dundee District, Tayside Region and former county of Angus), to the S and N respectively.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 January 1996.

Site recorded by Maritime Fife during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, Fife Ness to Newburgh 1996

Comparable 'Whipple-Murphy' bow truss construction has been noted in railway bridges at Bargeddie, Monkland (NS66SE 141) and Deedes Road, Airdie (NS76NE 22).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 December 2005.

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of its length. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NO c. 39107 29267 to NO c. 39558 26321.

The curving N spans of the bridge cross Riverside Junction (Dundee Esplanade) while the S end of the bridge incorporates Wormit Junction (with the East Fife coastal branch line).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 April 2006.

People and Organisations