Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 683339

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/683339

NO12SW 20 1170 2395.

(Name centred NO 1170 2395) Site of the Gilten Arbour (NR).

OS 25" map, 1932.

It appears by the City Records and other documents that the name Gilten Arbour, or Herbar, applied as a proper name to grounds which belonged to the Black Friars Monastery (NO12SW 6). Another part was long known as the King's Gardens, The whole separated on the east from the North Inch by a kind of canal (NO12SW 50).

Originally this area was the King's Garden attached to the Castle (NO12SW 28) which stood somewhere in the Castlegable. Some accounts associate the gardens with Robert III and the clan battle on North Inch (NO12SW 34).

Name Book 1860.

People and Organisations

References