Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 680175

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/680175

NO01NE 20 0720 1680.

(NO 0720 1680) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

A hillfort defended on the west by precipitous slopes and elsewhere by a stone rampart. There was an opening on the east and some remains of ditches outside the defences (Statistical Account {OSA} 1792).

Christison (1900) records it as a site with little or no remains and could only find 'three faintly marked trenches on one side'.

Information from OS (CJP) 8 April 1965.

Sources: OSA 1792; Name Book 1859; J Skene 1857; D Christison 1900.

This fort, situated on an eminence, is defended on the west by precipitous slopes but elsewhere by four ramparts with medial ditches; only slight traces of the outer rampart exist and it is possible that it did not continue round the south side of the fort. The entrance to the fort is in the east side; breaks in the ramparts in the SE side are mutilations.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (E G C) 19 November 1965.

There is no change to the existing record; this fort is situated in woodland to the SE of Netherholm steading (NO01NE 88).

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 22 November 1995.

People and Organisations

References