Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 677290

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/677290

NN69SW 2.01 NN 64762 94383 East Lodge

NN69SW 2.02 NN 64112 94114 West Lodge

NN69SW 2.03 NN 6449 9440 Kerosene house

NN69SW 2.04 NN 6463 9427 Ice house

NN69SW 2.05 NN 6475 9425 Walled garden

NN69SW 2.06 NN 6432 9417 Mill Cottage

NN69SW 2.07 NN 6431 9418 Meal Mill

NN69SW 2.08 NN 6431 9414 Saw Mill

NN69SW 2.09 NN 6432 9418 Kiln Barn

NN69SW 2.10 NN 6445 9432 Spring Well

NN69SW 2.11 NN 6480 9435 Steading

NN69SW 2.12 NN 64577 94318 East Pavilion

NN69SW 2.13 NN 64539 94312 West Pavilion

NN69SW 2.14 NN 64477 94460 Upper Cluny / Stables

For Cluny Castle, burial-ground (Cladh Chlearnan or Cladh Cluanaidh) at NN 6426 9407, see NN69SW 4.

(NN 6457 9429) Cluny Castle (NAT). On Site of Cluny Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1903)

Residence of the chief of the Clan Chattan (Macpherson). The castle, built in 1800, occupies the site of an older building (date unknown) which was burnt down by the Duke of Cumberland in 1746.

Name Book 1870; E J Burrow 1928.

There are no extant remains of the castle destroyed in 1746, but Mr. MacLean recalls a subterranean room containing a well fed by a natural spring, which was pointed out at NN 6456 9431, in the courtyard of the present Cluny Castle. Measuring approximately 5.0m x 4.0m the room had a barrel-vaulted roof and a floor of stone flags, but the present owner, Captain Lindsay, had the well and room filled in and covered over some years ago (Information from Mr H Maclean, head gardener, Cluny Castle, Laggan, Inverness-shire). They are probably the remains of the older castle believed to have been built in the 14th or 15th c, with subsequent additions up to the 18th c. Ewen Macpherson, 18th chief of the clan was the last occupier, before it was burned by the Hanovarians in 1746. Captain Macpherson asserts that this never was a "castle" in the true sense of the word, but merely a highland chief's private dwelling (Captain J H Macpherson, Dunmore, Newtonmore, Inverness-shire). The east side of the courtyard is cobbled and may also be an original feature of the older castle. There is little doubt that the present Cluny Castle stands on the site of the former building.

The present structure, commenced in 1800 and completed in 1810, has two storeys with attic and basement.

Visited by OS (N K B) 29 September 1965.

People and Organisations

References