Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 676995

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/676995

NN52SE 2 5875 2307 and NN c.588 231

(Area: NN 588 231) A large, oval boulder having a basin, 13" broad and 6" deep, cut out near its higher, broad end and with a cluster of 15 smaller cups below the basin, was found at Craggen, immediately behind the Free Church Manse, by a contractor singling out boulders for the erection of the new Episcopal Church at Lochearn- head. About 100 yards. to the south of this stone is a dolmen or chamber composed of six large stones, two of which are thrown down. Three of these stones are cup- marked, the one forming the floor or area of the dolmen having fifty cups varying from 3 1/2" to 1" in diameter.

D Haggart 1888.

No trace could be found of the "large boulder with basin". The six large stones mentioned by Haggart were located at NN 5875 2307, on a small, turf-covered rocky mound. One is flat-topped, measures 1.5m x 1.5m x 0.4m high and has at least fifty cup-marks, mostly small, on its exposed surface. Almost touching this stone on the south is a large triangular stone, 0.8m high, with at least eight rather crude hollows on its flat top, the largest being 7" in diameter and 2 1/2" deep. A third stone, approx. 2.0m east of the first, has at least eight small cups hidden beneath encroaching turf.

These cup-marked stones do not form part of a chambered cairn (Information from A S Henshall, NMAS).

Cup-marked boulders surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 12 December 1968.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (J R L) 20 March 1979.

NN c. 588 231 This cup-marked boulder may have been destroyed when it was found during quarrying operations.

NN 587 230 Three large boulders bearing cup-marks.

RCAHMS 1979; D Haggart 1888

People and Organisations

References