Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some mapping services are currently unavailable. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 674846

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/674846

NM80SE 14 8808 0475

(NM 8808 0475) Dun Toiseach (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, 1975.

Dun Toiseich, 'Fort of the Chief', stands on an isolated hill overlooking An Lodan, the lagoon at the south end of Loch Awe. The dun is 'D' shaped and measures 80' by 60' with a wall 10' thick. The entrance is on the north with one checkstone in situ. There are possible internal structures and probably three outer terraces on the east and south (Campbell and Sandeman 1964).

Christison (1889) mentions an internal traverse facing the supposed entrance which he places on the south.

D Christison 1889; M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964.

Generally as described. The entrance is in the NE. No internal features were noted and the terraces to the east and south are natural.

Surveyed at 1/10,000 scale.

Visited by OS, 1970.

Situated on a prominent rocky knoll overlooking the S end of Loch Awe 250 m ESE of Torran farmsteading, there is a severely ruined dun measuring about 16m by 13m within a wall which has been some 4m thick. (Campbell and Sandeman 1964) Two stretches of outer facing-stones are visible, as well as a few possible stones of the inner face, but, particularly on the NE, the wall has been severely robbed and the core material scattered. The entrance lies on the NE, the innermost portion of the SE passage-wall and what may be a door-jamb on the opposite side still being visible. The knoll has acted as the focus for recent field-walls, but there is no indication that it was additionally defended by outworks. A small modern cairn (a on the plan) surmounts the dun wall on the SE.

RCAHMS 1988, visited May 1982.

Scheduled as 'Dun Toiseach, dun 300m SE of Torran Farm... the remains of... a hilltop fortification... set on a rocky knoll overlooking the S end of Loch Awe'

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 9 January 2004.

People and Organisations

References