Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Desk Based Assessment

Date 1970

Event ID 673859

Category Recording

Type Desk Based Assessment


NM54NE 1 5795 4987 and 5790 4987.

(NM 5790 4987) Chapel (NR) (rems of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Cill Leuntaig (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

Chapel and Burial-ground, Killundine: The burial-ground at Killundine (at NM 5795 4988), which contains the 19th-century burial-enclosure of the family of Cheape of Killundine, is of recent origin. However, (at NM 5790 4987) on a low knoll some 30m to the W, there are the turf-covered remains of a rectangular building which measures about 7.6m from E to W by 3.0m transversely within 0.7 m walls standing to a maximum height of 0.8m. A gap at the centre of the S wall may mark the position of the entrance-doorway. This structure stands in the NW angle of a small D-shaped enclosure, defined on the N and W sloping ground, and on the E and S by a curving stony bank.

Although the name 'Cill Leuntaig' was applied to this site by the OS in the 19th century, its Gaelic name is 'Cill Fhionntain, the dedication being to St Fintan. The orientation and plan-form of the building described above suggest that it was a chapel, but in view of its elongated proportions it must be attributed to the medieval period, although the site was evidently in use at an earlier date.

Two Early Christian grave-markers from the burial-ground are at present in the care of Mr Iain Thornber, Ardtornish. One, which is in two pieces, has been a roughly-shaped pillar measuring 1.43m high, 0.24m

in maximum width and 0.065m thick; it has an incised cross on both faces, the edges being plain. The other stone measures 0.64m high, 0.12m in maximum width and from 0.05m to 0.09m in thickness; the foot has been roughly trimmed to a point and there is an incised cross on one face only.

OS Name Book 1872; W J Watson 1926; I Thornber 1974; RCAHMS 1980.

Information from OS.

People and Organisations