Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 673522

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NM43NW 6 centred on 415 387

(NM 415 387) Ormaig (NAT)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

Ormaig, a township depopulated from 1850, and consisting of about eighteen buildings, and other enclosures. Several periods of construction are evident.

Information from OS air photographs OS/71/337-708.

Visited by OS (DWR) 11 May 1972

Eighteen unroofed buildings, one of which is a long building, three enclosures, one of which is incomplete, and some walls are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire, Island of Mull 1882, sheet lxxxii). Fourteen unroofed buildings, one partially roofed building, three enclosures and some walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 2 July 1998

Site recorded during survey for the Scottish Agricultural College, under the Historic Scotland Ancient Monument Survey Grant Scheme.

NM 415 387 (centre) (NM43NW 6) Deserted township; cruck-framed cottages.

Sponsors: Historic Scotland, Scottish Agricultural College.

T Rees 1998

People and Organisations