Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 673453

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NL69NE 4 6644 9570.

(NL 6644 9570) Cille Bhrianain (NR) (Site of).

Grave Yard (NAT).

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

Cille Bhrianan, an old burial ground containing the foundations of an old church of stone and lime which is orientated ENE/ WSW and is about 37ft. long by 16 1/2ft. broad externally. The place is known as Caibeal Moire nan Ceann (Chapel of Mary of the Heads), a name connected with a legend attached to the place.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 12 June 1915.

Only the S and part of the E and W walls of the burial ground remain as slight, grass-covered, banks of earth and stone. No grave-stones remain.

The grass-covered foundations of the chapel are as described above.

Visited by OS (N K B) 24 May 1965.

VN133: An EDM plan has been made of this structure and its immediate surroundings. The medieval chapel sits on a mound from which rabbit infestation produces midden material including handmade pottery of Iron Age type. The masonry structure is crumbling and the rabbit activity may undermine and destroy the rather flimsy walls.

NMRS MS/595/11, 5.

People and Organisations