Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 672498

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/672498

NO42SE 77 centred 4817 2385

For other military command, training and defensive structures on Tentsmuir Sands, see also:

NO42NE 71-3, 117 and 127

NO42SE 56-7, 78-9 and 81

NO52NW 1-8, and NO52SW 1.

Site recorded by Headland Archaeology during an archaeological evaluation of Tentsmuir Forest in advance of felling proposals. The results of the evaluation are contained in two reports deposited with Fife SMR and the NMRS.

NO 481 239 WWII army camp

Camp, probably constructed in late 1940, for units of the Polish Army and occupied at least until the end of 1942. No contemporary plans have been located but vertical aerial photgraphs taken in 1947 (CPE/SCOT/215, 4061-4063, flown 1947) show the camp shortly after it was dismantled.

Sponsors: Historic Scotland, Fife Council, Forest Enterprise.

S Carter 1997

NO 481 239 This site, a World War 2 army camp, was recorded as part of an archaeological evaluation of Forestry Commission land in Tentsmuir, Fife carried out by Headland Archaeology Ltd. This evaluation was commissioned by Fife Council Planning Service in advance of Forest Enterprise felling proposals, the work was executed to a brief prepared by Peter Yeoman and Sarah Govan of Fife Council Archaeological Service. The report concludes that the camp was probably constructed in late 1940, for units of the Polish Army and was occupied until the end of 1942 at least. The team could not find any contemporary plans but it is visible on vertical air photographs flown in 1947 shortly after the camp was dismantled. These photographs have the codes CPE/SCOT/251, 4061-4063. They indicate that the camp comprised dispersed groups of accomodation blocks (probably Nissen huts), and there was a larger block of central facilities close to the road to Kinshaldy. By 1947 most of the buildings had been removed and only two roofless brick structures survive. There was also a concrete covered well which had the coat of arms of the Polish Army impressed into its outer concrete facing. All other buildings survive only as foundations. Other features visable on the photographs are slit trenches and other defensive earthworks on the E (seaward) side of the camp. The Polish Army garrison at the camp manned the numerous other defensive World War 2 sites in the Tentsmuir Forest and Coastal Area. This high level of defence was due to the low sandy coast line of Tenstmuir being thought of as a high risk area from a sea-borne invasion and also because the airfield at Leuchars required protection from sea-borne attack.

Sponsors: Fife Council with support from Historic Scotland and Forest Enterprise

NMRS MS/899/32 (May 1997 Headland Archaeology Ltd)

NO 4648 2633 This report gives an overview and synthesis of the archaeology of Tentsmuir, it should be read in conjunction with MS/899/32 which gives more detail on the archaeological evaluation Headland Archaeology Ltd conducted in the area. The report contains the sections 'The Scope and Aims of the report', 'The geomorphic evolution of Tentsmuir', 'History of archaeological investigation'. It then goes on to look at the archaeology of Tentsmuir, period by period : 'Mesolithic', 'Later prehistoric', 'Medieval and post Medieval', 'Agricultural improvement' amd finally 'World War Two'. Maps and plans for each period are also included.

Sponsors: Fife Council with support from Historic Scotland and Forest Enterprise.

NMRS MS/899/33 (May 1997 Headland Archaeology Ltd.)

A distant view of camp is visible on a RAF WW II oblique aerial photograph (no sortie no., no date, frame 16).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2007.

People and Organisations

References