Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 670254

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/670254

NJ84SE 1 8815 4484.

(NJ 8815 4484) Rocking Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

According to Pratt (1870) this was known as the 'Muckle Stane of Auchmaliddie' and he described it as a fallen rocking stone. Coles (1904), however, records a local tradition of a stone circle and describes the two remaining stones as the recumbent stone and west pillar stone. He suggests that a slight swelling a few yards to the north of the stones, is the original mound on which the circle stood.

J B Pratt 1870; F R Coles 1904.

Two quartz boulders still known as the 'Rocking Stones'. The 'recumbent' stone lying NE-SW measures 3.0m x 1.8m and 0.7m thick and the other to the SE measures 2.5m x 1.3m and 0.7m high. There is no trace of "a slight swelling" north of the stones as suggested by Coles. The large stone would make a suitable recumbent stone for a recumbent stone circle, but there is no further ground evidence for this. The name 'Muckle Stane of Auchmaliddie' is not known locally.

Visited by OS (ISS) 22 February 1973.

The remains of a recumbent stone circle whose stones appear to have come from outcrops half a mile to the SW.

H A W Burl 1973.

Scheduled as North Mains of Auchmaliddie, stone circle.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 8 November 2000.

People and Organisations

References