Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 669957

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NJ72SE 15 centred 77982 20644

For Pictish Symbol Stones and cross-incised stones (NJ 7802 2062), Bass of Inverurie (NJ 7809 2059) and Inverurie Cemetery (centred NJ 7815 2055), see NJ72SE 11.00, NJ72SE 13, NJ72SE 138 respectively.

For (successor and present) Parish Church of St Andrew (NJ 7763 2111), see NJ72SE 132.

(NJ 7800 2064) Church (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 2nd ed., (1928)

The chapel of Inverurie, first mentioned about 1190, occupied the same site as the later parish churches.

J Davidson 1884.

The parish church formerly stood near the north-west corner of the churchyard, but it was removed in 1775. Portions of the foundations are sometimes located during grave-digging.

J Ritchie 1911.

The site of the old church shown on the OS 25" plan agrees with the position pointed out by Mr Gray. At this point there is a slight platform, too amorphous for survey, which may represent the foundations of the old church or may possibly be associated with later graves. The area is at present in use as a cemetery. A tombstone at NJ 7802 2062, dated 1616, is said by Mr Gray to have been built into the old church wall.

Visited by OS (NKB) 9 March 1964; Information from Mr A L Gray, 131 High St, Inverurie.

(Location cited as NJ 7800 2059). Inverurie Churchyard: old ball-capped gate-piers and good collection of 17th century stones, notably that to Walter Innes of Ardtannes (1616).

[Photographic imagery listed].

NMRS, MS/712/35.

(GRC/AAS nos. NJ72SE 110 and NJ72SE 127 ). The Chapel of Inverurie (removed 1775) is recorded as GRC/AAS NJ72SE 15.

Coffin-shaped granite mortsafe 6ft (1.83m) long, 1ft 6ins (0.46m) broad at the head-end, 9-10ins (229 to 254mm) thick.

J Ritchie 1912; NMRS, MS/712/72.

People and Organisations