Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 669843

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes


NT27NE 30.00 27041 76070

NT27NE 30.01 27044 76040 Churchyard



Robert Mylne 1674 - new steeple taken down 1936

Thomas Hamilton - reported on state of building in 1836 - repaired & restored 1848.



Copy (1822) of agreement between John Brown, Boxmaster of the Maltmen of Leith, and John Stewart, Boxmaster of the Sledders for giving possession to the Sledders of the 5 laigh seats built by the maltmen under their lofts in the Lady Kirk of Leith, with licence to bury their dead within the maltmen's aisle ...

1661 (Ratified 21 September 1699)

GD 399/78

Wright's account for work on houses and The Kirk.


GD 399/42/3

Wright's account for work in Leith Churh and house at Yardheads


GD 399/62/12

Account for painting the Carters' seats in South Leith Church.


GD 399/62/7

Account or alterations to seats in South Leith Church.


GD 399/69/10

Account for a pair of Kirk seat candlesticks


GD 399/69/11

[Printed] Letter James Reoch, Convener Committee of the Kirk Session. He includes William Burn, Architect's report on the state of the Tower of the Church and asks proprietors to consider this report before attending a meeting.

19 September 1836

GD 399/127/1

Report by William Burn, Architect [1789-1870] on the state of the Tower or Spire of South Leith Parish Church.

'The Tower on the West end is of much more recent construction and to the careless and injudicious execution ... the whole defects, not only of the Tower itself but of the main roof of the Church and East Gable, are entirely attributable ... The West end of the Church appears to be part of the original building and on this wall the West Front of the Tower has been errected; but as the other 3 sides had no similar substructure to depend upon a new foundation became necessary, while having yielded to the weight placed upon it while the West wall rested on the old structure, the Tower has evidently sunk on the East and by pressing against the timbers of the roof has also given them an inclination to the Eastward and displaced the upper part of the East Gable ...'

William Burn considers that the Tower should be taken down as far as the roof of the Church and the East Gable rebuilt to correspond to the West end.


GD 399/127/1

Letter: James Reoch to the Deacon of the Carters, Leith.

Payment for the work on the steeple is now due.

The Deacon's proportion is ?4.4.4.

10 July 1837

GD 399/127/2

People and Organisations