Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 667461

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NJ42NE 36 4982 2700 and 4999 2716

(NJ 4982 2700) Sculptured Stone found here AD 1803 (NAT)

OS 25" map, Aberdeenshire, (1866-70)

(NJ 4999 2716) Part of Sculptured Stone found at South side of village AD 1803 (NAT)

OS 25" map, Aberdeenshire, (1866-70) and (1902)

A sculptured stone which originally stood at Mains of Rhynie seems to have been broken up in 1803 for use in building. When complete it was of granite, about 8 ft (2.4m) high and 6 ft (1.8m) broad. Logan shows it complete with elephant, crescent and mirror symbols on it. A fragment, also indicated by Logan, and illustrated in the Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB, 1867) was built into the wall of a barn or stable having been taken from the former schoolhouse (though at what time is not clear). In 1826 the larger portion was completely broken up for building and by 1903 the smaller fragment had also disappeared.

J Logan 1929; Name Book 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

People and Organisations