Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 667419

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/667419

NJ56NE 10.00 5899 6584

NJ56NE 10.01 NJ 5896 6586 goods shed

Not to be confused with (successor) Portsoy Station (NJ 5891 6568), for which see NJ56NE 11.

For Portsoy Harbour (NJ 5890 6634), see NJ56NE 13.

(Location cited as NJ 590 658). Opened 1859 by the Banff, Portsoy and Stratisla Rly. A remarkable building with a wooden overall roof; the offices are in a small 1-storey block attached to the train shed. Converted to a coal depot and now a garage; the old wooden goods shed also survives.

J R Hume 1977.

This station was opened on 30 July 1859 by the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Rly. (as the terminus of the branch line from Tillynaught) and was closed (by the Great North of Scotland Rly) on 1 April 1884 on the extension of the line towards Elgin, being replaced by Portsoy Station (NJ56NE 11).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 October 2000.

J Thomas and D Turnock 1989; R V J Butt 1995.

People and Organisations

References