Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 666517

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NJ26SW 12 2232 6262.

(NJ 2232 6262) Maison Dieu (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

No trace remains of the Preceptory of the Maison Dieu but in the centre of the Maison Dieu Park, which is to the south of Easton House, was its chapel, which had a large gothic window. In 1773 the walls of the old Popish Chapel called Maison Dieu were blown down by a hurricane (Information from the Scots Magazine, January 1773). The chapel had a burial ground - all that remains of both are a few hummocks.

H B Mackintosh 1924.

Founded between AD 1222 and 1237, the Maison Dieu at Elgin was burned in 1390 then rebuilt, misused, granted to the Blackfriars of Elgin in 1520 and finally granted by James VI to the Provost and Council of Elgin in 1594/5.

D E Easson 1957.

This site is now occupied by new building development. The site was excavated during the 1914-18 war without result. A few skulls have been turned up in the recent building operations.

Visited by OS (R D L) 11 December 1962.

Information from Mr Harrison, Director, Elgin Museum.

People and Organisations