Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 664956

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/664956

NH98SW 12 9026 8326

(NH 9026 8326) Castle Corbet (NAT) (Supposed remains of)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

Macfarlane (1906-8) in the first half of the 18th century mentions the Castle of Easter Arbol "now ruinous, belonging one to Corbat of Easter Arbol" and situated "a short mile W of the church" (of Tarbat). Davidson (Davidson 1948), however, states that Castle Corbet was quite unknown to the farmer on whose land it was situated.

A low, surrounding ditch was visible in 1872 (ONB 1872).

Name Book 1872; W Macfarlane 1906-8; J M Davidson 1948.

The site of this alleged castle is on a spur between a stream gully and a raised beach. All that survives are the overgrown footings of an off-square stone-walled structure of uncertain origin. There is no trace of the ditch seen in 1872. No further information obtained locally. Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (A A) 14 September 1972.

The wasted remains of what is probably a broch. It measures 22m in diameter over a wall 5.5m thick; a single outer facing-stone is visible on the NW. The remains are obscured by dense vegetation and an enclosure of no great age.

RCAHMS 1979.

The remains of this feature, which are those of a dun rather than a broch (see NH87SW 6 and NH87SW 8 ), are generally as described above. The spread wall, which has an internal height of 0.5m, has been crudely dug into in the N arc revealing a stone and earth mixture, which confirms that the wall lacks the quantity and quality of stone expected from a broch. No entrance is evident. Three rough pits dug in the interior reveal nothing significant. Within the dun are the ill-defined remains of a sub-rectangular enclosure, 11.5m by about 8.5m, the SW side having been destroyed. The wall is spread to 1.5m and is 0.4m high. These remains are later than the dun, and seem too weak to be those of a 'castle'.

On the SW side among modern stone clearance is a possible cup-marked stone bearing three poorly-defined cups.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (J B) 3 March 1981.

People and Organisations

References