Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 664683

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NJ02NW 4.00 026 260

(NJ 0266 2602) Inverallan Church (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1905).

NJ02NW 4.01 NJ 0266 2602 Pictish Symbol Stone

NJ02NW 4.02 NJ 0267 2601 Cross-incised slab

The buried walls and foundations of the church were uncovered and destroyed shortly before December 1888, (A Mitchell 1889) when the graveyard was extended. The building had been 80 feet long and 21 feet wide with a cross wall dividing it into two unequal portions. At the west end were found a granite boulder with a basin, a font (H Scott 1915-61), standing in 1926 at the entrance to the graveyard, and a Pictish symbol stone, now built into the west wall of the grave- yard. The church is referred to in 1230 AD (L Shaw 1882) and is believed (H Scott 1915-61) to have been dedicated to St Futach.

A free-standing stone slab with a latin cross on each face, standing in the older part of the graveyard, was named by Mitchell in 1875 as the Inverallan Cross, but in 1888 as the Priest's Stone, while Scott names it as Futach's Stone (Futach, or St Fiacre, being a 7th century Irish saint.)

'St Futach's Well' partly filled with grass-grown mud, stood west of the road along the Spey a short distance from the graveyard (H Scott 1915-61).

A Mitchell and J Drummond 1875; L Shaw 1882; A Mitchell 1889; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; H Scott 1915-61.

People and Organisations